By: Mohammad Jamal
If you are a Pakistani and living in any part of the country, I am pretty sure you must have heard of this phrase” Jinhein Lahore Ni Vekhiya O Jamiya hi Nai”. The story behind this epic phrase is a combination of various things like Food, Historic Landmarks, Nightlife, Masjids, Malls, Universities ,Colleges, Eiffel Tower(PS: The real one), Metro Busses , and soon to be Orange train and guess what Lahore also Has Baskin Robbins now(World’s Most Famous Ice-cream). We could surely keep going but instead we have compiled some of the most obvious facts we love about Lahore.
- It’s a saying by oral traditions a legend indeed, that Lahore was named as Lavapuri (City of Lava in Sanskrit), and was established by Prince Lava, who was the child of Sita and Rama, while Kasur(the Neighboring city of Lahore) was established by his twin sibling Prince Kusha. The city is saturated with history encountering three eras: the Mughal Empire, British provincial, and now present day Lahore. No one is sure when it was founded, there are various theories of its beginning. It is also said that there are traces of the city far as 4000 years. Shocking isn’t it, who knew that this City would come this far.
- Lahore is the Second most populous city of Pakistan with almost 10 Million population. The population has doubled in the last 15 years. It is the 40th most populated city in the World. The areas which are most popular are Johar Town, Model Town and DHA.
- Lahore is known to be the cultural heart of Pakistan. Lahore has the most beautiful historic places that take you back in the history that includes Red Fort, Badshahi Mosque, Data Sahab, these land markings are the true culture of Pakistan, these places represent the forefathers of Lahore. If you happen to be in Lahore, these places must be first on your list to visit.
- Lahore is also known as the City of Gardens. The name has again a very interesting story as it has many Gardens, even the oldest, made in the times of Mughal, One of them is the Shalimar Gardens, made by Shah Jahan to mimic the view of Paradise in Lahore, this place is a must visit. A new garden by the name of Greater Iqbal Park was recently founded by our Chief Minister Shahbaz Shareef, the special thing about that place is that it has a show of dancing fountains every day at 5pm. It has been attracting a lot of Lahoris since its opening back in 2016. The many other gardens and parks in the city include Hazuri Bagh, Iqbal Park, Mochi Bagh, Gulshan Iqbal Park, Model Town Park, Race Course Park, Nasir Bagh Lahore, Jallo Park, Wild Life Park, and Changa Manga, an artificial forest near Lahore in the Kasur district.
- Lahore is also known as the City of Colleges. It has more than 500 colleges and almost 50+ universities of every field known to man. This has made Lahore, the city with most colleges and universities in the entire country. Lahore is said to have Literacy rate of 74%, Lahore has one of Pakistan’s oldest educational institutes including Government College Lahore (now Government College University), established in 1864; Forman Christian College, a chartered university established in 1864; and newly founded Lahore University of Management Sciences(LUMS) and University of Central(UCP) are one of the few names. Colleges include KIPS, Punjab College, Lahore Grammar School, Beacon House etc.
- Lahore is now also known for its Malls which include Emporium and Packages, they have made Lahore popular in all over the world. Emporium is located in Johar Town near Expo Centre which is also known for hosting various events of domestic and international level. Emporium Mall is an 11-Storey Mall with the area of 2.7 million Square feet and has almost 200 stores and the largest food court of Pakistan and 9 cinemas as well as a five-star hotel. Packages mall recently opened almost 6 months ago with area of 1 million Square feet and 170+stores and a food court which includes all the international and national food chains.
- Bahria Town, trust me this place is one of the most beautiful place in Lahore, The Recently made Eiffel tower which is a mimic of the Original one in Paris , is not less than the original one in any way. The parks, roads, beautiful infrastructure make Bahria the best place to live in Lahore. How could I forget Grand Jamia Mosque , is a mosque located with a capacity of 70,000 worshippers, making it the third largest mosque in Pakistan and the seventh largest mosque in the world.
- Now the last fact about Lahore, which I think is the true reason behind the phrase “Jinhe Lahore ni Vekhiya O jamiya hi Nai” is, FOOD (Khaney), oye hoye(OMG), Lahore has the tastiest foods in whole wide country as well as the world. Any desired dish could be easily available in Lahore, at any time, 24/7 food availability weather that be Chinese cuisine or French cuisine, Lahore has it,
Spicy like Hyderabady food, we have it, Indonesian cuisine, Italian American cuisine, Japanese cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Punjabi cuisine, Rajasthani cuisine, Turkish cusine, name it and Lahore has it.
Well that’s my facts about Lahore, which I think makes our City unique from the others, though the whole Pakistan is our home, but Lahore truly is the heart of Pakistan, I hope not to offend any other city of Pakistan, as each city is known for its unique tradition.
If you want to add any facts of your own, do comment below. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and like our page FactsLibrary.